Webinar: Human Trafficking: The Role of the Health Care Provider
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
12:00-1:30pm PDT/ 1:00-2:30pm MDT/ 2:00-3:30pm CDT/ 3:00-4:30pm EDT
What can healthcare providers do to help victims of human trafficking? Many healthcare providers, who interact with human trafficking victims, are unaware that these crimes occur and often are not prepared to respond to victims, survivors, and those at risk. This webinar will provide clinicians with knowledge on trafficking and give specific tools for screening, assist victims in the clinical setting, and understand reporting requirements. Participants will have the opportunity to hear from a human trafficking survivor, and explore opportunities for improving practice and policy.
1. Understand the background and statistics of human trafficking.
2. Describe ways in which health care providers can identify and assist victims and survivors.
3. Identify screening tools and understand reporting requirements.
4. Understand how programs and services can be designed to be more supportive and avoid re-traumatization.
Wendy Macias Konstantopoulos, MD, MPH
Medical Director, Human Trafficking Initiative, Division of Global Health & Human Rights; Department of Emergency Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital; Harvard Medical School
Natalie McClain, PhD, RN, CPNP
Clinical Associate Professor, William F. Connell School of Nursing, Boston College
Survivor of human trafficking
Moderator: Frances Ashe-Goins, MPH, RN, ADN, BSN
Associate Director for Partnerships and Programs, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office on Women’s Health
Continuing Medical Education: Physicians (MD or DO only)
Futures Without Violence’s National Health Resource Center on Domestic Violence is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Futures Without Violence designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Instructions for receiving CME credits:
1. Register for the webinar.
2. Login to join the live webinar on May 14, 2014. Your login and log out times will be automatically recorded by the online webinar system.
3. Complete the online evaluation form in its entirety by May 16, 2014 (the link will be provided at the end of the webinar).
Certificate of Completion:
A Certificate of Completion is only available for participants receiving CME credits. A certificate will be provided after steps 1-3 above have been completed. Please be sure to include your full name, address, and e-mail on the evaluation form. You will receive an electronic copy of the certificate via email approximately 7-14 business days after receipt of your evaluation form.
Cost of Activity:
There is no cost to receive credit or to participate in this webinar.
This activity received no commercial support.
Conflict of Interest Declaration:
A Conflict of Interest occurs when an individual has an opportunity to effect educational content about health-care products or services of a commercial interest with which she/he has a financial relationship. The planners and presenters of this continuing education activity have disclosed no relevant financial relationship with any commercial interests pertaining to this activity.
• Broadband Internet access – DSL, satellite, cable or other broadband server
• Color monitor
• Computer speakers/headphones or telephone to listen to audio. You may also listen to audio using a phone to call the conference line number.
• Conduct a systems test: http://futureswithoutviolence.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm
• If you want to print your certificate, you will need access to a printer.
Privacy and Confidentiality:
All personal information will remain confidential. We do not rent, sell or trade our mailing lists. Name, email and other information provided by a participant will be used appropriately to provide information on related activities including upcoming webinars and other events.
Questions? Please contact Anisa Ali (email@example.com).